As the Oakland Community College Association of Retired Personnel enters its 20th year, our organization remains vibrant and strong...but we always
welcome new members.
OCCARP has planned a large number of enjoyable and interesting activities for the coming year. Here are some examples:
- In November, our group held its annual meeting/luncheon at Orchard Ridge, during which we once again presented the OCC Foundation with a $1,000
check for OCC student scholarships.
- In early December we gathered at Maggiano’s Restaurant for our yearly holiday party.
- During the OCC winter break in February, the Florida “OCC in Exile” contingent will gather at Sarasota’s Twin Lakes Park for the annual picnic
coordinated by Dave Adams, Bruce Martin and Ron Pavlak. Not only OCC retirees and their families who have settled in Florida, but current OCC
employees and retirees visiting The Sunshine State to escape Michigan’s winter gloom will be welcome.
- In April a visit to actor Jeff Daniel’s famed Purple Rose Theatre is planned to see one of the company’s outstanding productions, “Lovers, Liars
& Lunatics,” a collection of short plays.
- For OCCARP members who are in Michigan, an annual summer picnic will once again be held in June at Marshbank Park in West Bloomfield.
- Finally, we are once more planning to charter a bus to convey members to a Detroit Tigers game at Comerica Park. In 2013, twenty OCCARP members
participated in this enjoyable event to watch the Tigers win.
We are pleased to announce that Judi Yerkes has joined the OCCARP Executive Board, and that Bill Stuart and Cathy Raffles have agreed to serve as
alternates. We note with regret the departure of Treasurer Jackie Sibley who decided not to run again. Jackie is a charter member of our group. We thank
her for her many contributions and outstanding service to the organization.
I also want to remind you that OCCARP has developed an e-mail arrangement that enables us to reach members electronically with information formerly sent
via the US Mail such as the Board Digest, the Retirees’ Newsletter, InfoMart articles, obituaries and notices of upcoming events. Please notify us if you
change your e-mail address or phone number.
Finally, the board extends an invitation to both local and distant OCC retirees to join OCCARP to keep in touch with old friends and learn about the
latest developments at the college which has been such an important part of our lives.
In closing, let me pass on an observation from member Roger Zapinski: “The bad thing about retirement is that you don’t get a day off.”
On behalf of the OCCARP Board, I extend our best wishes to you and yours for a happy, healthy and prosperous year to come.
OCCARP Board Chair