COMPASS English and Math Placement Testing
The COMPASS test is used to place you in the proper classes at Oakland Community College. This computerized assessment will provide your English and Math placement.
- Every new student needs to take the COMPASS English Placement Test unless they meet certain criteria for exemption. Please see a counselor to determine if you qualify for an exemption.
COMPASS Math Placement is required for those students who intend to take a math class at OCC. Check with a counselor to determine if you need to take the Math Placement Test or if you might be exempt. If you do take the test,
COMPASS will adjust the questions you are given based on your successful answers.
- For example, if your response is correct, you will be given a more difficult question.
- If your response is incorrect, you will be given an easier problem until your correct level is determined.
The English Placement Test requires 1.5 hours to complete. Please allow 1 hour for the Math Placement Test.
- An admissions application must be submitted and processed prior to testing.
- The test is given on a “walk-in” basis—no appointment is needed
- Driver’s license or picture ID must be presented at testing.
COMPASS sessions are offered at various times. Click on the links below to see the schedule and practice tests.