What is Supplemental Instruction?
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic enrichment program that was developed at the University of Missouri—Kansas City in 1973.
Traditionally, SI targets classes that are known to be difficult for students. We are expanding that to include as many courses as possible.
- To increase student academic performance.
- To help students acquire study skills while learning meaningful content.
- Integrate how to learn with what to learn.
- Provide immediate practice and reinforcement of old and new skills.
- Provide opportunities to clarify concepts, wrestle with topics and discuss ideas.
- Offer opportunities for peer and collaborative learning.