Biology Proficiency Test
For those interested in taking BIO 1570 or BIO 2630
Microbiology of Health and Disease *
Human Anatomy & Physiology I
If you are planning on enrolling into BIO 1570 (Microbiology of Health and Disease) or BIO 2630 (Human Anatomy and Physiology I) in the
Fall 2010 semester or later, then the following applies to you, so please read it carefully.
Course prerequisite: Beginning with the Fall semester of 2010, no OCC student may enroll into BIO 1570 or BIO 2630, unless she/he has met the
prerequisite – "Satisfactory score on the OCC biology proficiency test or a grade of "C" or better in BIO 1511 or BIO 1530 (or equivalent college transfer course) within the last
The one-hour test is timed; upon its completion you will know your score and your next step. (ACCESS-eligible students will have two hours to complete the test.) The score will
place you in the appropriate course that will enhance your academic success. If you receive a score of 70% or higher on the proficiency test, you may enroll in BIO 1570 or BIO
2630. If you do not pass the test, then you should spend some time studying before you retake the test. You are allowed to take the proficiency test a total of two
times. Failure to pass the test a second time means that you must enroll in BIO 1511 or BIO 1530. The passing score (70% or higher) will be valid for 5 years.
Students are exempt from the Biology Proficiency Test if they meet any one of the following conditions:
- Students who have earned a "C" or higher in BIO 1570 or BIO 2630 in the last 5 years and want to enroll into BIO 1570 or BIO 2630.
- Students with score of "3" or better on the AP Biology exam, taken within the last 5 years.
- Students who have achieved a passing CLEP score on the SUBJECT exam in General Biology, taken within the last 5 years.
- Students with transfer credit in courses equivalent to BIO 1570 or BIO 2630 completed within the last 5 years.
- Students who have earned a bachelor degree or higher from a U.S. institution or equivalent.
- Students admitted to OCC under a guest application from another college (NOTE: High school guest students are NOT eligible for a waiver).
How to prepare for the test: The test evaluates your knowledge of high school biology and chemistry as well as your reading and problem solving skills. A list
of test topics and a sample test is available at Counseling Services and Academic Support Centers at each campus. In order to prepare for the test, it is strongly recommended that
you review corresponding chapters in biology textbooks placed on reserve at each OCC library. Additional resources include books such as Get Ready for Biology, Get Ready for Anatomy
and Get Ready for Microbiology (http://www.mypearsonstore.com), which will also be available at the OCC libraries and bookstores.