What is the MTELP?
The MTELP, or Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency, is a language certificate measuring a students English ability as a second or foreign language. Its primary
purpose is to access a learner's English language ability at an academic or advanced business level. The test structure is
similar to other Michigan Proficiency exams in that it is in a multiple choice format. The MTELP consists of grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehension sections.
How long does the MTELP test last?
- The test lasts 90 minutes and there are 100 questions.
- The grammar, vocabulary and reading (GVR) consists of the following:
- 40 conversational grammar items
- 40 vocabulary items
- 20 reading comprehension items
- The reading comprehension section contains 4 texts of between 400 and 600 words with 5 multiple choice questions each.
Who should take the test?
MTELP Sample Questions
MTELP Test Schedule
- An admissions application must be submitted and processed prior to testing.
- Driver's license, passport or picture I.D. must be presented 15-30 minutes prior to starting times.
- An appointment must be made for this test. Space for testing is limited to (10) ten!
- Spaces will be granted on a "First-come, first-served" basis.
- Arrive 15-30 minutes early.
- Testing begins promptly at indicated time.
- Test can last approximately 2.5 hours if a writing sample is required.
Call 248-942-3035 to verify times and test availability