Employer advantages to hiring an OCC Co-Op/Intern:
- Saves both time and money in recruiting costs because the college provides a free referral service for qualified applicants.
- Provides the opportunity to hire potential permanent employees through early identification of top co-ops/interns.
- Permits better utilization of existing personnel.
- Fills a temporary need for employees.
- Provides support for special projects during peak periods.
- Enhances the organization’s image and influence in the college community.
- Stimulates new ideas in an organization and allows employees to stay current on developments in the academic world.
- Advertises employment opportunities by providing broad exposure to student populations.
- Helps increase opportunities to meet EEO guidelines.
If you would like to review resumes of potential co-op/internship candidates, you may fax, e-mail, or call in a job description of your employment needs including qualifications, responsibilities, hours and salary. This information will
help the program coordinator to recruit suitable candidates that have been approved by faculty for placement. Resumes will be sent to your organization for your review. You may contact students directly for interviews. If an offer
of employment is extended and accepted by an OCC student, the program coordinator must be contacted.
Once hired, the student is considered an employee of the company and is subject to the rules and policies of that organization. The program coordinator will verify employment information including start date, hours and work
responsibilities. After a student is placed, the coordinator and/or faculty representative may make a brief visit on the job site. Near the end of the term an evaluation will be completed by the employer which will factor into the
student’s grade for their internship/co-op experience. Students must also complete the instructor’s requirements for their final grade.
Click here for a list of Participating Academic Majors and to contact the Program Coordinator.