Oakland Community College
Skip Navigation LinksFuture Students > Admission > Residency


Residency status is initially determined at the time of processing the application. This activity precedes registration. If the status must be changed, this adjustment can be made at the campus Enrollment Services Office with proper documentation.

Students are responsible for maintaining a current mailing address on file with the college.


Proof of Residency

   It is the responsibility of the student to fully comply with the following regulation for documenting residency. The lack of complete documentation, as requested, opens the possibility of the assignment of a residency category with an attached tuition schedule which is higher than may have been assigned with proper and complete documentation. Paperwork must be submitted to
the Enrollment Services Department for processing.

For U.S. citizens and permanent residents, OCC requires the presentation of at least, but not limitedto, ONE of the following to verify residency:

  1. Driver’s License or Secretary of State Personal Identification Card reflecting the current address of the bearer.
  2. Voter Registration Card reflecting the current address of the holder.
  3. Current property tax receipt for the place of residence.
  4. Current lease agreement for the place of residence.

   Permanent residents must also present their resident alien card or passport in addition to the residency proof.

   A dependent student presenting documentation that bears the name of the person upon whom dependent must present satisfactory documentation of the dependency relationship.

   Non-immigrants must show a current paid property tax receipt verifying themselves or, if a dependent student, the person upon whom dependent as a property owner to establish in-district or out-of-district rate eligibility. This documentation must be provided when applying for admission with re-verification required each year.

Students who use a P.O. Box as their mailing address must re-verify residency each year to determine proper tuition rate.

   If you have questions regarding your residency status, please contact the Enrollment Services Office at any campus.  (Please refer to the Campus Directory.)