Massage Therapy Program
Massage Therapy is an exciting career choice and demand is growing. Massage therapists can be found working in hospitals, physical therapy settings, chiropractic offices, fitness centers, spas and resorts. Oakland Community
College’s (OCC) Massage Therapy Program is a complete training program with an emphasis on medical knowledge that will prepare you to work in a variety of healthcare and therapeutic settings as well as spa/salon or entrepreneurial
career choices. OCC students may earn a certificate in as little as one year, or continue their studies for an Associate Degree in Applied Science.
Your education in massage therapy is now even more important! The State of Michigan has passed legislation that requires massage practitioners to be licensed by completing specific education requirements. Oakland Community
College's Massage Therapy Program exceeds these requirements and is a State of Michigan approved program.
The Healthcare Focus
Courses for massage therapy students include anatomy, physiology, bio-behavioral management and kinesiology. The certificate program consists of over 700 total contact hours, including more than 360 hours of "hands on" training.
The Entrepreneur Focus
OCC students also learn the ins and outs of operating their own business and are able to network with former students who have successfully started massage therapy businesses.
The OCC Advantage
- Complete a certificate in as little as one year and be well-prepared to take the National Certification (NCETM) or Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEX) for state licensure. OCC students have a much higher pass rate for these
exams; higher than state and national levels.
- Attend full-time day or part-time evening
- Affordable tuition - private school tuition can be 2-4 times higher than the community college (see Approximate Program Costs)
- Financial Aid available to those who qualify
- All major courses (MST coded) are held at the Highland Lakes Campus only. The required supportive courses may be taken at other campuses or may transfer in from external college credits.
To find out more about Massage Therapy at OCC, call 248.341.2229.
To download the Massage Therapy Program handbook in PDF format, click here.
To download the Massage Therapy Program Policies and Procedures manual in PDF format, click here.
Connect to us on Facebook:
Massage Therapy Program on Facebook
Visit the OCC Catalog for
more details and course requirements.