Oakland Community College
F-1 Visa

Change of Status Applications

Individuals seeking a change of status in the United States from an eligible non-immigrant status to F-1 should meet with an OCC International Student Advisor at the campus you plan to attend.  Applicants will be required to submit all of the forms and documents listed under Admission Requirements to your International Student Advisor and take the MTELP placement test.

 Once all documents have been submitted, reviewed and accepted, an I-20 will be issued.  It is recommended that you consult an immigration attorney to file your change of status application with USCIS.  Please take the following with you when you meet with the attorney:

  • I-20
  • Copy of I-94 card, passport, visa and DS-2019 if appropriate
  • Original financial documents
  • A letter explaining what you have been doing while in the U.S., why you are seeking a change of status to F-1, and state clear educational goals.
  • USCIS fee of $290.00 (check or money order).

Note: Persons currently in B-2 status or F-2 status applying to change status must wait until USCIS approves and awards F-1 status before attending OCC. Other non-immigrants may begin attendance prior to receiving F-1 status. Please check with an International Student Advisor.