Sue Ann Larabell
What a great time to be a member of Phi Theta Kappa!! The Winter Session is always so exciting for the Alpha Omicron Xi Chapter. Not only do we have the opportunity
to meet with prospective new members at our February Orientation Sessions, but we are also preparing for our induction ceremony in March and the National Convention in April.
If that weren’t enough, PTK members are always prominent participants in the Honors and Commencement Ceremonies that happen in May.
The Winter Session is also a fantastic time to renew our commitment to the four hallmarks of PTK membership:
- During Our December Blanket Drive, we collected nearly 20 blankets which were donated benefit of the South Oakland Shelter. Our
membership should be very proud of these efforts.
- The Semi-Annual Blood Drive, in partnership with the American Red Cross, was held at Orchard Ridge Campus on February 23rd.
- Our ongoing commitment to helping the guests at St Leo’s soup kitchen continues (upcoming dates are Feb 18, March 31 and April 21)
- As does our annual participation in the West Bloomfield Relay for Life in support of Cancer research and treatment. (Event will be held
June 2nd & 3rd at West Bloomfield High School – contact email@example.com for information on how to join or team or donate to our
chapter’s fundraising events.
- Phi Theta Kappa has joined with Community College Associations across the country in a joint venture to produce 5 million more associate degree
and certificate holders by 2020. (1)
- Phi Theta Kappa members nationally earn up to thirty-seven million dollars in scholarship funds each year.
- Local institutions who have scholarships dedicated for PTK members include, University of Detroit Mercy, University of Michigan, University of Toledo, Walsh College, Wayne
State University, and many others.
- PTK members enjoy free enrollment in CollegeFish.org; a guide to help students find interesting and challenging programs at schools that fit your criteria
- Each member has access to the Five Star Competitive Edge program, which offers personal and professional development training online.
- Free access to PTK Career Resource Center online.
- The ability to attend leadership and networking seminars not only at OCC, but at the regional and national level with Phi Theta Kappa as well.
- PTK members are recognized by administrators as the best of the best and are respected as an integral part of the college.
- What more is there to say besides - Annual Convention!! This is a fantastic opportunity for education and networking with PTK members and alumni from across the country.
- Fellowship is also a hallmark that permeates the PTK experience. Each of our service events serves as an opportunity to fellowship. In addition, you will find familiar
PTK faces in study sessions, monthly meetings and even the classroom.
- We are always looking for new ideas for fellowship events. Look for details regarding an upcoming member’s movie nights and family game nights.
With this renewed commitment to service, scholarship, leadership and fellowship, I wish all students and faculty a safe and informative semester and I look forward to meeting
you during my tenure as Acting President.
Sue Ann Larabell
Phi Theta Kappa, Alpha Omicron Xi Chapter