Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards Enrollment Requirements
State law requires that a law enforcement officer candidate:
- Be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Have attained the minimum age as established by the hiring agency, which shall not be less than 18 years or as otherwise provided by law.
- Have no prior felony convictions (including expunged convictions).
- Possess good moral character as determined by a favorable comprehensive background investigation covering school and employment records, home environment, and personal traits and integrity. Consideration will be given to all law violations, including traffic and conservation law convictions, as possibly indicating lack of good moral character.
- Possess normal hearing, normal color vision, and normal visual functions and acuity in each eye correctable to 20/20. Be free from any of the impediment of the senses, physically sound, in possession of all extremities, and well developed physically, with height and weight in relation to each other as indicated by accepted medical standards.
- Be free from physical defects, chronic diseases, organic diseases, organic functional conditions, or mental or emotional instabilities which may tend to impair the efficient performance of a law enforcement officer’s duties or which might endanger the lives of others or the law enforcement officer.
- Possess a valid Michigan vehicle operator’s license.
Those who meet the above MCOLES enrollment requirements, have passed the State’s pre-enrollment tests, and have acquired either a two or four year degree, are eligible to compete for a seat in the Oakland Police Academy as a pre-service (self-sponsored) candidate.
The pre-service candidate is increasingly attractive to most law enforcement agencies for both economic and practical reasons. Since the pre-service graduate is already trained and eligible to be licensed, the graduate may be employed immediately without exceptional pre-hire costs to the agency.
Uniforms and Equipment
- Uniforms and equipment requirements are as follows:
- Navy blue trousers (2)
- Navy blue long sleeve shirts (2)
- Black clip-on neck tie
- Black Belt
- Black boots, lightweight, optional 6" or 8"
- Miscellaneous gymnasium dress
- Students are also required to provide an appropriate sidearm and leather gear