Oakland Community College
Resources & Scholarships

Refund Policy

Student Financial Resources and Scholarships
Return of Federal (Title IV) Funds

Financial assistance recipients MUST notify Student Financial Resources and Scholarships immediately when there is a change in enrollment status. 

If a student receiving Title IV aid completely withdraws from all classes before completing 60% of the term, Student Financial Resources and Scholarships is required to determine how much financial aid has been earned up to the date of withdrawal.  Unearned Title IV funds must be returned by OCC and the student (depending on the calculation) to the federal government.

Once a student has been enrolled for more than 60% of the semester, the student has earned the federal financial assistance.  Students who withdraw from all of their classes prior to 60% of the semester will have their financial assistance recalculated based on the percentage of the term completed.

Funds must be returned to the following federal programs in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans (other than PLUS loans)
  2. Subsidized Direct Stafford loans
  3. Federal Perkins Loans
  4. Federal PLUS loans
  5. Direct PLUS loans
  6. Federal Pell Grants for which a Return is required
  7. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) for which a return of funds is required
  8. Federal TEACH Grants for which a Return is required
  9. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant for which a Return is required

When a student receives an "N" mark(s) for a class(es), the financial assistance award may be reduced or cancelled, and the student will be responsible for any outstanding balance owed to the federal government and to OCC as a result of this adjustment.

Withdrawing/dropping from classes and/or never attending classes may also affect the student’s academic progress and result in termination of financial assistance.

The student is encouraged to contact the Student Financial Resources and Scholarships office BEFORE changing enrollment status. The financial aid staff can provide additional information which will assist the student in making an informed decision.

If the student doesn't pay the amount owed, the student will be ineligible for further financial assistance from any post-secondary institution that participates in the Title IV (federal) financial aid programs.

Students who decide to withdraw/drop classes must complete the "Student Withdrawal Form" and submit it to Enrollment Services (Registration).

Top of Page