What You Need to Know

Academic Plan of Study

Financial Aid students must select an eligible Academic Plan of Study.  You will be ineligible to receive federal financial aid until an eligible program is selected.  Schedule an appointment with OCC Counseling to receive academic guidance.  Once your Academic Plan of Study is selected, only courses associated with your Academic Plan of Study will be considered in the evaluation of your financial aid eligibility.  This ensures the maximum use of your financial aid funding and a pathway to graduation.

An email will be sent to you if your classes are not part of your Academic Plan of Study.  This will allow you to change your registration; however, if you take classes not included in your Academic Plan of Study, you may NOT receive financial aid to cover these classes.  You may have to pay for these classes from other sources. 


Tax Returns and Verifications of Non-filing

Changes to 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 Verification Requirements

Income Tax returns: Institutions may accept as acceptable documentation a signed copy of the 2017 or 2018 income tax returns, as applicable, that the tax filer submitted to the IRS or other tax authorities to verify FAFSA/ISIR income and tax return information.

Verification of Non-filing: Individuals are still required to obtain verification of non-filing (VNF) from the IRS or other tax authorities. However, if the individual is unable to obtain VNF from the IRS or other tax authorities, based on the institution’s determination, it may accept the following: a signed statement certifying that the individual.


Financial Aid Self-Service

Financial Aid Self-Service, accessible through MYOCC, provides information on the financial aid application as well as the financial aid offer status.

Students can view each step of the application process. Status indicators show which requirements have been met, recent activity, missing documents, and other requirements.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) notifications help students understand when current status affects their aid.

Online Financial Aid offer allows students to review and accept awards through the self-service tool. All awards are based on full-time enrollment of at least 12 credits. Your awards will be disbursed based on your actual enrollment.

Example: Student with zero (0) Expected Family Contribution (EFC) –Pell Eligible –fall semester, only

  • 12+ eligible credit hours = $3,048
  • 9-12 eligible credit hours = $2,286
  • 6-8 eligible credit hours = $1,524
  • 1-5 eligible credit hours = $762

Tuition and Payment

  • Oakland Community College (OCC) tuition is based on Billable Contact Hours (total instructional time).
  • Student financial aid is paid based on credit hours. Federal regulations do not permit payment based on billable hours.

What is an Electronic Book Voucher

The Electronic Book Voucher is an online, account of the money available to purchase your books and supplies.   The account is updated each night to reflect current balances for the following business day.  The maximum bookstore expenditure cannot exceed $1,200 per semester – no exceptions.  Money not used in the Raiders Store (OCC Bookstore) will be disbursed to you after the 100% refund period, according to the Check Refund Disbursement Schedule, located on the OCC website. You may add up to $400 on your Raider One card to be used for other education-related expenses incurred while attending OCC. This may be done by completing an iROC Cash Transfer Request at any of campus Raiders Store.

What if I do not want an Electronic Book Voucher?

You may find it advantageous to utilize the Electronic Book Voucher, given the fact that most of the books you will need for your classes are available in the Raiders Store.   The Electronic Book Voucher also allows you to purchase books while awaiting your financial aid refund (reflecting the difference between tuition/fees and your aid), which is deposited into your account approximately three weeks after the semester begins.  If you choose not to use the Electronic Book Voucher, you may purchase your books by cash/credit card from the bookstore or another provider. 

Financial Aid Disbursements

Financial aid will be disbursed based on enrollment level consistent with the start date of the courses. Courses taught in modules/less than 15 weeks will have aid disbursed according to the start date of the courses.

Students must be enrolled for at least six credits to receive a loan. Loans funds will not be disbursed until 30 days from the beginning of the semester. Loan fees are deducted from the loan amount.

Example (approximate course start dates):

  • Class 1 = 15 weeks, 3 credits September 11, 2020
  • Class 2 = 8 weeks, 3 credits September 11, 2020
  • Class 3 = 7 weeks, 3 credits November 15, 2020

In the example (above), the first disbursement will be based on six credits, only. Grant aid will be disbursed at the end of September 2020. Loan funds, if applicable, will not be disbursed until 30 days from the beginning of the semester.

Aid for Class 3 will be paid after November 15, increasing the amount to cover three additional credits. Refunds, if applicable, will be granted to student.

Tuition, fees, and bookstore charges are paid before any student refunds are generated.

Financial Aid Refunds

A financial aid refund is generated when the total sum of all payments (financial aid , excluding FWS, credit card payments, etc.) exceed the total sum of all charges (books, supplies, fees, certain tuition charges, etc.). The student refund belongs to the student to use for education-related expenses.

To avoid exhausting your refund before the semester ends, you will have to budget your financial aid award money wisely. For budgeting tips and information on effective money management, visit our online Financial Literacy Modules at Financial Avenue Access code: oak123

The Refund Schedule is posted on the web at the beginning of each semester.

Direct Deposit

If you want to get your refund faster, sign up for direct deposit.  Information available on MyOCC, Student Menu, Financial Profile.  You must enter your bank information.  You will remain signed up for direct deposit until you cancel the authorization.


Federal Title IV Aid (Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, Federal Direct Student Loans, and Federal Work-Study) does not cover the following developmental courses at Oakland Community College:

  • ENGLISH 1055

Some State, institutional, and private funding (TIP, MCS, Trustee Award, etc.) may cover these courses. Veteran’s benefits will cover classes approved on the VA Academic Plan of Study.

Satisfactory Academic Progress - GetSAP 

The GetSAP software transforms OCC’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy into a highly engaging, interactive, online video educational experience.

The goal of this service is to help improve communication of the SAP requirements to financial aid recipients.  GetSAP can be used as a proactive tool, and also when students run into difficulty meeting SAP requirements.

Students who are not meeting satisfactory academic progress may appeal to have their financial aid reinstated.  To appeal, students are required to successfully complete the GetSAP advising session.  When the session is completed, the student must complete the appeal form and submit it to the financial aid office.  For more information, visit GetSAP Counseling at OCC Financial Aid Advising Center.   


Financial aid funds are awarded to students for the purpose of receiving a degree or certificate. When a financial aid student finds it necessary to withdraw or stop attending, it important to meet with a financial aid manager to discuss the consequences of leaving school.

When a student completely withdrawals or stops attending (according to instructor records) before the end of the period of enrollment, a calculation is applied to determine the amount of “earned” financial assistance.  The Return to Title IV calculation will determine how much money, if any the student owes to the Department of Education.

If a student did not complete more than 60% of the period of enrollment, the calculation will determine the amount of funds to be returned/paid by the student.  If a student completes more than 60% of the period of enrollment, 100% of the federal aid is considered earned.

When a student withdraws/stops attending prior to the completion of the period of enrollment, it is Oakland Community College’s policy to cancel future financial aid awards and re-evaluate the student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress. Student may or may not be eligible for future financial aid.

N Marks

When a student registers for classes, it is expected that s/he will attend the classes. The N Mark is assigned when a student fails to attend class(es). All financial aid money must be returned to the Department of Education. If you received money you are not entitled to receive, you will have to repay the money.

All unpaid balances are referred to a collection agency for repayment. You will not be allowed to register for classes at OCC until the balance is paid in full or satisfactory repayment arrangements are made with the Financial Services Department. Unpaid balances may be referred to the Department of Education. You will not be able to receive aid from any higher education institution until satisfactory financial arrangements are made with the Department of Education. In addition, N Marks  (Never Attended) are reported to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) which will impact your repayment status for student loans.

Year-Round Pell (YRP)

A Pell Grant-eligible student may receive a full Federal Pell Grant for the summer semester even if they received a full Federal Pell Grant during the fall (12 credits) and winter (12 credits) semesters.

Pell Grant recipients may take advantage of this new regulation to earn their degree faster. Students should consult with their academic counselor to develop a manageable course load for the summer semester. Students are required to take at least six eligible credits during summer. For more information, visit Year-Round Pell.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

You do not have to graduate/leave school with debt. Make FWS your first choice, if eligible, after receiving your grants. Even if you have employment, you may find a FWS job with a range up to 20 hours per week.

If you are working for a non-profit agency or for-profit organization (limited number), tell us about them. We may be able to approve them as a FWS employer, which means you can continue to work and earn your FWS award with them.

Students on Federal Work-Study must be enrolled for at least six (6) credits. Students are paid every two weeks based on the hours worked on their time sheet, which must be approved by their FWS supervisor.

Why you should take advantage of FWS

For some students, it’s a better choice in the long term. All loans have to be repaid with interest. These loans are “real” loans, similar to a car loan or mortgage. The average loan for a 2-Year Public in Michigan is $9,962. Total repayment using the Standard Repayment Plan is $12,047 with $100 monthly payment for 120 months. Ten years!

We want to encourage you to plan wisely for your future.

Student Interaction

Read your OCC email, even if you leave OCC. We will communicate with you via your OCC email. Keep your contact information (telephone numbers and address) updated with OCC.

Data Protection/Authorization to Release Information

If you want the Office of Student Financial Resources and Scholarships (SFRS) to discuss your financial aid application with spouses, parents, others, you must complete an Authorization to Release Information with the appropriate documentation required. It is your responsibility to keep the form updated.  The form is available at the each campus Student Financial Resources and Scholarships Office.

For more detailed information, read: Understanding Financial Assistance and Scholarships

For answers to general financial aid questions view Financial Aid TV (FATV)


Auburn Hills Campus
2900 Featherstone Road
Room B-227
Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2845
Phone: 248.341.2240
Fax: 248.341.2250

Orchard Ridge Campus
27055 Orchard Lake Road
Room M-207
Farmington Hills, MI 48334-4579
Phone: 248.341.2240
Fax: 248.341.2250

Southfield Campus
22322 Rutland Drive
Room A-203
Southfield, MI 48075-4793
Phone: 248.341.2240
Fax: 248.341.2250

Highland Lakes Campus
7350 Cooley Lake Road
Woodland Hall 260
Waterford, MI 48327-4187
Phone: 248.341.2240
Fax: 248.341.2250

Royal Oak Campus
739 South Washington
Room  B-104
Royal Oak, MI 48067-3898
Phone: 248.341.2240
Fax: 248.341.2250