Refund Information

Tuition Refund

Refunds for tuition are only given when students officially drop a class during the defined refund period as outlined below. A class can be dropped via MyOCC/Self-Service or with a Registration Adjustment Form from the Enrollment Services Office at any campus. Failure to attend class does not constitute an official drop.  

If a class is officially dropped on or before the published deadline date, a refund for 100% of the tuition will be issued on the next scheduled refund date.  Refund deadlines are based on the section start date and number of weeks.  Since section start dates and lengths can differ from class to class, students should consult the Section Deadline Dates webpage in order to determine the drop date required for receiving a 100% tuition refund for their particular section. The $110 student support fee assessed at the time of registration is non-refundable. 

If a course is dropped after the scheduled refund period due to an unforeseen situation, you may be eligible for a partial refund.  You must first complete the Petition for Tuition Refund form and provide the required documentation in order for your request to be considered.  

Refunds for 100% tuition and the $110 student support fee are given when the College cancels a course prior to the course start date or when the student drops a course prior to the first day of College instruction for the term.

How are refunds issued?

If you paid tuition and/or fees entirely out of personal funds and received no financial aid funds, any refund will go directly to you.

Refunds may be direct deposited into your checking or savings account, or they may be mailed to your current address on file. Checks are not available for pickup. Avoid lost or stolen checks and delayed funds by signing up for direct deposit. For checks that are mailed, you are responsible for verifying your correct mailing address in MyOCC/Self-Service. To update an address, contact the Enrollment Services Office at any campus or email the office at

Refunds for payments made by credit card will be issued back to the originating credit card account.

Last Day for Tuition Refund (no refund after this day)

Class drop deadlines can be viewed at the Section Deadline Dates website.

Note: The $110 Student Support Fee assessed when you register for classes is non-refundable. If you drop classes or are dropped from classes for non-payment, you are still responsible for this fee.

100% tuition refunds for dropped classes will be credited to the student account by the close of business listed in the table below. Remember to consult the Section Deadline Dates website for each class being dropped in order to determine the date for a 100% tuition refund. Refunds are issued on the dates posted on the Student Refund Dates table below.

15-week or longer classes............................ Close of 6th business day from the start of the class*
13-week through 14-week classes.............. Close of 5th business day from the start of the class*
10-week through 12-week classes.............. Close of 4th business day from the start of the class*
7-week through 9-week classes ................. Close of 3rd business day from the start of the class*
4-week through 6-week classes.................. Close of 2nd business day from the start of the class*
2-week through 3-week classes.................. Close of 1st business day from the start of the class*
1-week classes................................................ Prior to 1st class meeting

* The first day a class meets is considered the first business day. A business day is any day that Enrollment Services is open for business.


If the last day for refund falls on a Friday, you may drop the class online through Sunday night and be eligible for a refund.

Tuition Refund Dates

Refunds are scheduled to be processed on the dates listed below for the semester indicated. It can take 1 - 5 business days to receive a direct-deposit refund and 7 - 10 days for paper checks to be delivered by the U.S. Postal Service.

Checks may be late due to processing delays, incorrect mailing addresses and general postal delays. If you requested a refund by check, and haven’t received it within 10 business days of the OCC Mailing Dates, please sign and complete a Check Stop Payment Request located on the Student Forms webpage and email the form to  Questions?  Please contact the Auburn Hills Student Accounts Office at (248) 341-2263 or For more information about direct deposit refunds, see E-Check Direct Deposit FAQ.

Summer 2024 - Student Refund Dates

OCC Mailing Date  
May 31, 2024  
June 7, 2024  
June 14, 2024 Includes 1st Loan Disbursement
June 21, 2024  
July 5, 2024 Includes 2nd Loan Disbursement
July 19, 2024  
August 2, 2024  
August 16, 2024  

Return of Federal (Title IV) Funds

Financial assistance recipients MUST notify Student Financial Resources and Scholarships immediately when there is a change in enrollment status.

If you are receiving Title IV aid and you withdraw from all classes before completing 60% of the term, OCC's Office of Student Financial Resources and Scholarships is required to determine how much financial aid has been earned up to the date of withdrawal. Unearned Title IV funds must be returned by OCC and you (depending on the calculation) to the federal government.

Once you are enrolled for more than 60% of the semester, you have earned federal financial assistance. If you withdraw from all of your classes prior to 60% of the semester, your financial assistance will be recalculated based on the percentage of the term completed.

Order of Return of Federal Funds

Funds must be returned to the following federal programs in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans (other than PLUS loans)
  2. Subsidized Direct Stafford loans
  3. Federal Perkins Loans
  4. Federal PLUS loans
  5. Direct PLUS loans
  6. Federal Pell Grants for which a Return is required
  7. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) for which a return of funds is required
  8. Federal TEACH Grants for which a Return is required
  9. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant for which a Return is required

A financial assistance award may be reduced or cancelled if you receive an "N" mark for a class or classes, and you will be responsible for any outstanding balance owed to the federal government and to OCC. If you don’t pay the amount owed, you will be ineligible for further financial assistance from any postsecondary institution that participates in the Title IV (federal) financial aid programs.

Withdrawal from classes

Withdrawing/dropping from classes and/or never attending classes may also affect your academic progress and result in termination of financial assistance. If you decide to withdraw/drop classes, you must drop the class online through your MyOCC account or complete the "Course Drop Request" form and submit it to Enrollment Services during regular business hours. OCC encourages you to contact the Student Financial Resources and Scholarships office before changing your enrollment status. The financial aid staff can provide additional information which will assist you in making an informed decision.