Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for Prior Learning

Fast Track Your Degree

We know that vital learning takes place outside of the classroom and that you’ll bring many diverse experiences to OCC. With credit for prior learning (CPL), you’ll earn college credits for what you’ve already learned in the workplace or community. 

Earn up to 45 credits toward a degree

If you’ve already been admitted to OCC, you could save time and money on your degree or certificate with CPL. The more CPL you earn, the fewer courses you need to take to complete your degree. Not yet an OCC student? Apply today

Through this program, you can earn up to 45 credits toward a degree or certificate. You will need to complete a minimum of 15 credits in formal coursework to obtain a degree and a minimum of 10 credits to obtain a certificate.

Earn College Credit for Prior Learning in a Many Ways 

  1. Apprenticeship
    Apprenticeship combines on-the-job learning (OJL), related instruction (RI), and mentorship to train you to be an expert in your field. Upon completion of a defined apprenticeship program, you’re encouraged to apply for certificates and degrees from OCC.

  2. High School Credit
    Earn college credit for Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams based on your scores. Or, earn credit for Career and Technical Education (CTE) if pre-approved by OCC and you’ve successfully passed your high school CTE class.

  3. College-Level Examination Program® 
    The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) allows you to receive college credit for what you already know, for a fraction of the cost of a college course.

  4. Licensure or Certification Credit 
    Turn your current industry certification or licenses into college credit.

  5. Exam Credit 
    Test out of select courses that you’ve already mastered through prior learning or experience.

  6. Military and Veteran Credit
    We follow the American Council on Education (ACE)’s Military Guide to determine if your military experience qualifies you for credit toward your degree or certificate. You may request that your official Joint Services Transcripts (JST) is sent to OCC electronically by choosing OCC as your sending institution via the JST portal.