This speech, performance and debate team offers a high-quality learning opportunity. Our team competes from September-April, travels to two or three tournaments a semester, and OCC covers the cost of judging, registration and etc. Undergraduate students in good academic standing can compete in one or more events (Informative Speaking, Poetry, Dramatic Interpretation, Parliamentary Debate and more), earn college credit for their work, and may even be eligible for scholarship money. See event descriptions and sample speech links on this page.
- Congratulations to the OCC Forensic Team for the Second Place standing at the MISL
(Michigan Intercollegiate Speech League) Mini held remotely via Zoom on Sept. 30!
There were 8 total schools involved in the event.
- ALL the competing OCC students qualified for the National Forensic Tournament being held at Central Michigan in April.
- The individual finishes were: Impromptu = 1st Place Patrick Strand, Informative = 1st Place Jackson Belanger, 2nd Place Daniel Akintunde, Prose = 3rd Place Hayzel Goodman. Congratulations to all!
- There was also an asynchronous Saginaw Valley State Tournament in Sept., and we had one entry. The result: Impromptu =1st Place Patrick Strand!
- Congratulations to the OCC Forensic Team winners on Dec. 2! Results include: Jay Arseneault and Alex Sprinkle Duo: 2nd (They qualified for nationals with this finish), Patrick Strand 4th Impromptu and 4th Impromptu Sales (He qualified for Nationals with these finishes), Danial Akintunde 4th Informative (He qualified for Nationals with this finish).
- Our next meeting (Zoom or on-campus) is Jan. 26. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the time, Zoom link, and password.
- Our next tournament is Feb. 17 at Northwood U.
- Our final tournament is Mar. 2 at Wayne State U.
We have three co-presidents:
o Patrick Strand, Clementine Goodman, and Jackson Belanger! Congrats to all!
All OCC students are invited to join us
Start working now to prepare for future tournaments. Coaching will continue throughout the semester, and with the right planning, you could be prepared and shine too! Remote and in-person coaching sessions are available.
If you join the team, you can help us continue to be successful, and you will certainly benefit too. Winning is fun, but the bigger success is building life skills. As Inc. Magazine says, “Public Speaking is No Longer a ‘Soft Skill.’ It’s Your Key to Success in Any Field." So, any improvement in your presentation skills will support your success in college and beyond!
Why not try something new, meet others at OCC, and network with individuals from other schools!?
To set up a coaching appointment or get the Zoom link, email Ms. Bennett.