International Admission and I-20 Issuance Requirements

Application for Admission

All prospective OCC students from other countries must complete an OCC Application for Admission.

Only students planning to apply for a U.S. immigration category known as "F-1" must satisfy other requirements listed below. F-1 international students are those who intend to study full-time in the U.S., complete a degree, and then return to their home country.


Online Application

F-1's should complete the Online Application.  Enter U.S. address on application if you have one; otherwise, enter your home address.  F-1 students must choose a program of study other than "undecided".  Once your application is complete, you will see a link titled "Submit Supplements".  Selecting this screen will take you to a screen to upload the required forms/documents listed in Steps 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

If you have difficulty uploading your required forms/documents with the Online Application, you may send them by  email attachment.


Proof of English Language Proficiency

Students applying within the U.S. instead take the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (MTELP) at OCC for admissions purposes.  Some students may be eligible to waive MTELP.

Students applying from outside the U.S. must take the TOEFL or IELTS English test and send an official score report to OCC even if intending to study English as a Second Language (ESL).  The OCC TOEFL code is #1607.  Please contact TOEFL information.  A minimum score of 20 (internet based) TOEFL and 3.0 IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is required for admission to the English as a Second Language program.  Contact IELTS for more information.


Submit the identification page from your passport.  If you are under 18 years old, also submit a scan of your high school diploma.


International Student Information - must include foreign address (form is fillable)


Financial Documents

OCC Statement of Finances (print and complete by hand)

This form outlines anticipated tuition, books, and supplies, living expenses and health insurance costs for an F-1 student for one year.  A minimum of $19,500 must be shown.  More money must be shown for dependents, $3,500 for a spouse and $3,000 for each child.

Applicants will be asked for original documents if authenticity cannot be reasonably determined by electronic or faxed copies.

Documentation of Finances

Applicants must provide documentation supporting all amounts entered on the OCC Statement of Finances.   A bank statement translated to English and converted to U.S. dollars is required for any savings shown.  Financial documents are valid for six months from the date of issue.  Documents that are older than six months cannot be accepted.  Applicants will be asked for original documents if authenticity cannot be reasonably determined by the electronic or faxed copies.


Transfer Students  ONLY

F-1 Transfer- In Request (Print, fill in top and take to International Student Office at your current school)

F-1 students transferring from another U.S. college or university must submit the following additional forms:

  • Copy of I-20  from the school you are transferring from.
  • If currently on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training, submit a copy of EAD card.

Contact Information

Student services for all F-1 students are offered at:

Royal Oak Campus - Building B, Room 102
Phone 248.246.2563

Our student services staff can assist you with admission and other general inquiries. Please send your questions to

Since it may be difficult for you to drive to the Royal Oak Campus, we will try to meet your needs as much as possible through email and telephone. Please email your questions first and if an answer cannot be provided by email or telephone, we'll make an appointment.

Aside from assisting you with F-1 immigration regulation issues, we are able to direct you to resources both inside the college and in the community to make your stay in the U.S. more enjoyable and to meet your educational goals. We look forward to working with you!