Full Time Exceptions
If your reason for not registering for a full course of study falls under one of the
following exceptions allowed by USICE, you must receive approval from your ISA BEFORE
dropping the class. Failure to receive prior approval may result in the loss of legal
- Verified temporary medical condition
- Initial difficulty with English or adjustment to the U.S. educational system
- Improper course placement
- Graduation in the current semester with fewer than normal hours needed to graduate
in the semester
OCC and USICE must have your current local address.
You must maintain a current local address with OCC. If you move you must update your
address by using an OCC Change of Data Form and submitting it to the Records Department
at your home campus. You must also report your new address to your ISA. The ISA will
report your address change to immigration.
- You cannot work off campus in any capacity without specific authorization from the
International Student Advisor and USCIS.
- You cannot work on campus without completing a JP-11.
- You must not work off campus (including internships for OCC classes) without prior
authorization from your OCC International Student Advisor and USCIS. Any unauthorized
employment will invalidate your legal status and you will be ineligible for any other
benefits of your status.
- F-1 students in valid status may apply to work for the college. Work for the college
is limited to twenty hours per week. To determine work eligibility, you must complete
Form JP-11 online.
Your passport must remain valid to maintain your legal status.
Your passport must remain valid at all times, and you must apply for renewal six months
before it expires. Without a valid passport, you do not have valid immigration status.
Contact your embassy regarding the process.
Your I-20 expires either on the end date listed on the document or completion of program
date, whichever is earlier. If you have not completed your program by the listed end
date, it may be possible for you to extend your stay but it must be done at least
the 30 days prior to your I-20 expiring. Contact your International Student Advisor.