The software programs listed below are available for free or at a discounted rate for students. Click on a software package name for download information.
- Adobe Creative Cloud - Adobe Creative Cloud is a suite of programs used for graphic and web design. This discounted software suite includes Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Android Studio - As the official integrated development environment (IDE) for the Android platform, Android Studio is used in the development of mobile applications. Android Studio is free to download. Contact your full-time CIS instructor for installation instructions.
- Aptana Studio - Aptana Studio is an open-source web development environment used to build web applications. Contact your full-time CIS instructor for installation instructions.
- Datamodeler - Oracle Datamodeler is a free graphical tool used to easily create data models. Contact your CIS instructor for installation instructions.
- Java Development Kit (jdk) - A free development environment for building applications and components using the Java programming language. Contact your CIS instructor for installation instructions.
- Java Runtime Environment (jre) - Java Runtime provides the minimum requirements for executing a Java application; it consists of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), core classes, and supporting files. Contact your CIS instructor for installation instructions.
- jGrasp - A free lightweight development environment that supports multiple programming languages. Requires separate JDK installation to develop Java applications.
- MacinCloud - MacinCloud is a remote Mac rental service that allows you to access rented Mac servers through the Internet to develop apps and run Mac programs. MacinCloud offers an academic discount for students. Contact your CIS instructor for more information.
- Microsoft Software - A wide selection of Microsoft software products are available for discounted purchase through On The Hub. Software products are also available for academic use directly from Microsoft.
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) - SSMS is a free integrated environment for managing any SQL infrastructure, from SQL Server to SQL Database. SSMS provides tools to configure, monitor, and administer instances of SQL. Use SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) to query, design, and manage your databases.
- Notepad++ - A free text and source code editor which supports several programming and markup languages.
- Scene Builder - A free and open source visual layout tool that uses drag and drop components to allow the user to design JavaFX application user interfaces without coding.
- Visual Paradigm - Visual Paradigm provides academic license of their UML tools, BPMN tools and agile development tools (story mapping) to students and lecturers of Oakland Community College. Visual Paradigm for UML is used for software, database and system modeling. Contact your instructor for free copies, activation codes, and installation instructions.
- VMWare Workstation Player - VMware Workstation Player software is used to create and execute virtual machines. A compatible version for Apple computers must be requested from a full time faculty member.
- Xcode - This free development environment provides everything developers need to create applications for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. This software requires a Mac or MacinCloud. Contact your CIS instructor for installation instructions.