Oakland Community College invites the public to join in events and activities honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
“We are proud of OCC’s long-standing tradition to come together and celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., with top speakers and service projects focused on improving the quality of life in our community,” said Chancellor Tim Meyer, Oakland Community College. “These activities are part of our broader commitment to ensure that respect and inclusion, in all its forms, are valued throughout the College and our community.”
WHAT: Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation 2016
WHEN: Friday, January 15, 2016, 10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
WHERE: OCC, Orchard Ridge Campus, Smith Theatre, 27055 Orchard Lake Rd., Farmington Hills, MI
- Open to the public, free admission.
- Guest Speaker, Stephen Henderson.
- Henderson is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, Detroit Free Press editorial page editor, host of WDET’s Detroit Today and host of the weekly talk shows “American Black Journal” and “MiWeek,” both on Detroit Public Television. Among his many awards and honors, Henderson was the National Association of Black Journalists’ pick for Journalist of the Year in 2014.
- Sponsored by OCC College Committee for Diversity and Inclusion designed to raise diversity and inclusion awareness through programs and activities and advocate a collaborative vision of diversity and inclusion.
WHAT: Martin Luther King, Jr. Service Project 2016
WHEN: Monday, January 18, 2016 (all day) Start time 9:00a.m.
WHERE: 11600 East 7 Mile Rd, Detroit MI
- Community members, students, staff and faculty college-wide are invited.
- For over 10 years, OCC Student LIFE organizes a volunteer project benefitting a local non-profit organization (the college is closed in honor of the holiday).
- This year’s project is to secure 25 vacant properties and create safer pathways on student walking routes to Detroit's Pulaski Elementary and Osborn High Schools. The larger project is sponsored by the AmeriCorps Urban Safety Program, Build On, Detroit Public Schools, the Detroit Youth Service Corps, Wayne Cares and Wayne State University.
- Register at https://mlk2016.splashthat.com/
- is deeply dedicated to community service and providing additional pathways for students for leadership development. “This is a perfect opportunity to honor Dr. King’s legacy and celebrate his belief that “Everyone can be great. Because anybody can serve.”
With five campuses throughout Oakland County, Oakland Community College is committed to providing academic and developmental experiences that allows each student to reach their full potential and enhance the diverse communities they serve. It offers degrees and certificates in approximately 100 career fields and university transfer degrees in business, science and the liberal arts. More than a million students have enrolled in the college since it opened in 1965. Learn more about OCC at oaklandcc.edu.
Contact: Bridget M. Kavanaugh | Marketing & Communications | (248) 341-2020 | firstname.lastname@example.org