How to Apply
After you register for classes, applying for the award is easy and will take less
than two minutes. Awards will be made in order of application date until funding runs
There are two ways to access the application:
- After you register for classes, you will receive an email to your student account.
- The subject line reads “OCC Alert - Winter 2022 FREE emergency grants available” and
comes from CARES@oaklandcc.edu.
- Follow the simple directions outlined in that email.
- Can’t find that email?
Questions? Contact CARES@oaklandcc.edu.
- Sign up for direct deposit. This is the quickest, safest way to receive funding.
- The deadline to submit your application is January 25, 2022.
- Awards will be disbursed the week of January 31, 2022.
The money comes from the American Rescue Plan of 2021, a $1.9 trillion package passed
by Congress to provide economic relief during the COVID-19 pandemic. OCC received
$14 million for students under a section of the plan called the Higher Education Emergency
Relief Fund (HEERF). We awarded half the grant money to students in the Fall 2021
semester and will award the rest in Winter 2022.