OCC uses the ALEKS Placement system! Follow steps below:
- Login to MyOCC. Select Pre-Registration Steps. Select ALEKS PPL Mathematics Placement.
- Enter the ALEKS test through the on-screen directions (Go to ALEKS-most users)
- Do the quick tour of the test. This will let you know how to input your answers.
- Take the practice test. If you wish to improve your result, work on the Learning and
- Unless there are extenuating circumstances, all ALEKS PPL Placement will be administered
on-site in an Academic Support Center (ASC) or in A360 at AH. When you are ready
to take the official math placement (proctored), email the Academic Support Center closest to you from your OCC email address.
- Put ALEKS placement in the subject of your email. Include your name, birth date, and
Student ID number in the email along with date/time requested (Monday or Wednesday,
10:00 am, 2:00 pm or 5:00 pm or Friday, 10:00am or 2:00pm).
- All tests will begin at 10:00 am, 2:00 pm (all campuses) or 5:00 pm on Monday and
Wednesday at AH, HL, RO, and SF; (OR has evening hours only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays).
All placement testing will be on-site.
- The Academic Support Center or Orchard Ridge Testing Center will email you to confirm
your appointment. Please plan to arrive 10 minutes early to check-in.
- Please allow up to 24 hours during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 am
- 5:00 pm) between your request to take ALEKS and a response from the Academic Support
Center or the Orchard Ridge Testing Center.
- Personal calculators are not permitted unless assigned as an accommodation by an OCC
ACCESS (Disability Services) Office. You may use the calculator provided within the
ALEKS exam. This is available for specific exam problems.
There are several exemptions, including the use of SAT scores, AP tests, and other
college math courses. Please check the exemptions on our Math Placement Page.
Taking the correct math course is essential and without preparation, students are
often placed into a course that could have been avoided - wasting time and money.
In the past, it was common for students to take the Math Placement Test without completing
any review or preparation.
Our goal is give you the opportunity and resources to help you place into the appropriate
level of math for you.
All placement testing can be taken at the Academic Support Center at any campus.
Students with disabilities who may need assistance on Placements should contact the ACCESS office prior to taking the test. They will need to provide documentation of a qualifying
disability and its functional limitation.
OPTION 1: Use your SAT Math Score. See the chart below. If you are satisfied with your placement,
you may upload your SAT score report in the Online Application or email the report
to email@example.com where the scores will be noted on your OCC student record! Otherwise you will need
to bring that score in for verification and upload. If you are not satisfied with
your SAT placement, see option 2 and 3.
OPTION 2: Check the other exemptions list below. If you qualify for an exemption, visit the
Counseling office with the paperwork to verify the exemption and your score will be entered into the
OPTION 3: Take the ALEKS Placement Test. Before taking ALEKS, you must complete the online practice
module. Log into MyOCC. On the Students Menu under Pre-Registration Steps, select ALEKS PPL Mathematics
Placement. You will see how you score on the practice test. If you are satisfied with
your score, contact an Academic Support Center (ASC) to take an official ALEKS Placement
Test. See the campus schedules and the information above for dates and times. If you
are not satisfied with your practice test score, the ALEKS program offers free modules
to practice material that was missed during the practice test.
- You have earned a bachelor degree or higher from an accredited U.S. college
- You are admitted to OCC under a College Guest Application from another college
- You have evidence of passing with a "C" or better the prerequisite math course at
OCC or the equivalent college transfer course at another accredited college within
the past three years
- You have earned a score of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement Exam in Calculus
AB or BC
- You have already earned credit for a math course at OCC or at another accredited college
and you wish to enroll in the same math course.
Students wishing to take a math course at OCC will take the ALEKS Math Placement.
This test is used to place you into the appropriate math course. There is a required
practice test. Visit the ALEKS page for more details.
ALEKS (Placement, Preparation & Learning ) PPL MANDATORY PRACTICE TEST
- Read the instructions under 'How to Take the ALEKS Mandatory Practice. (see the link
- Login to ALEKS. (see the link below)
- Complete the practice attempt without help from any outside person or source so your
practice score is accurate.
- Students have access to the ALEKS Prep and Learning Module system for 12 months from
the first time you sign in to the ALEKS system. We recommend taking the math practice
within a few months of enrolling in a math course. Students will have to pay $25 for
an additional year of access if they still need to take an official, proctored ALEKS
placement test, or wish to continue practicing after the 12 month period.
After taking the ALEKS Practice Placement Test
- You will receive a score and a projected OCC math course placement.
- If you wish to improve your score/placement, a custom, online preparation program
will be available to you in the ALEKS system.
To improve your score
- Do the Prep and Learning Modules until you feel confident to try the Placement Test again.
- You are allowed to take the proctored Placement Test without Prep and Learning.
- Before retaking the Placement Test after your first official attempt, you must complete
the required amount of Prep and Learning: at least 3 hours before your second try,
at least 5 hours before your third try, and at least 8 hours before your fourth and
- In addition, you must spend at least 3 hours working through the preparation modules
before retaking the Practice Assessment. The 3 hours does not need to be completed
all at once.
- Oakland Community College does not recognize Math practice that is completed through
the $10 ALEKS App. You must complete your Mandatory Practice through the OCC ALEKS
Practice for placement into our Math Courses.
Contact an Academic Support Center (ASC) to make arrangements to take the Official Placement Test. If you are registered
with ACCESS contact an Access Office to make arrangements.