The Oakland Community College Dental Hygiene Program is seeking qualified applicants. Due to overwhelming interest in the DHY Program we are now offering two Information Sessions in the Fall semester (10/6/22 & 11/10/22). Registration for the two sessions will open soon! Attending a DHY Information Session is mandatory before applying to the program. Prospective DHY Students must complete the requirements listed below and meet with a counselor prior to the December 15th deadline to be considered in the Selection Process for the next Fall semester. A new class of DHY students begins every Fall semester and those selected will be notified by mid March to make the decision to enter the OCC DHY Program.
Selection is determined by the following factors:
- GPA for eight (8) supportive classes calculated and students ranked by GPA
- HESI test with at least 75% pass rate on all sections (actual score used to break GPA ties)
- 10 hours of shadowing at a private practice of your choice
- 5 hours of OCC DHY Clinic shadowing
Become a Dental Hygienist
- Like Helping People
- Enjoy Working with your Hands
- Interested in Improving the Oral Health of Public
- Helping Prevent Diseases in Patients
- Promoting Good Oral Health Practices to all
A career that makes a difference
Dental hygienists are important members of the dental health care team who work with dentists in the delivery of dental care to patients. Hygienists use their knowledge and clinical skills to provide comprehensive dental hygiene care for patients. They use their interpersonal skills to motivate and instruct patients on methods to prevent oral disease and to maintain oral and general health.