The Medical Assisting Program (MDA) offers numerous program options including a Certificate program or an Associate Degree program. Both clinical and administrative skills are included in the course work. Upon successful completion of the Medical Assisting Certificate program, students are eligible to sit for the American Association of Medical Assistant (AAMA) certification exam. OCC students have had a 100% success rate on this exam from 2001 to present. The program also has a 100% graduate satisfaction rating for the past five reporting years.
Individual certificates of achievement are also offered. Each option offers students marketable skills in many health care professions.
Oakland Community College Medical Assisting Program has partnered with MI Works and Henry Ford Health System to offer a N0-Cost Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program. Students selected for the apprenticehip program will be hired by Henry Ford Health System and will remain with the organization after successful completion of the program. Contact Sherry Kless at MI Works (248-691-8437 ext. 2970) for more information.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has projected the job outlook for Medical Assistants for 2016-2026 to grow by 29% (much faster than average). The 2016 median annual pay-$31540.
- Part-time or full-time course loads; many programs can be completed in one semester.
- The Medical Assisting Certificate program (MDA.CT) is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board.
- CAAHEP -25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158 Clearwater, FL 33763-(727-210-2350)
- Certificates of Achievement: Medical Insurance Coding and Billing (MDA.MIC.CA), Medical Office Administrative Procedures (MDA. MOA.CA), Phlebotomy (MDA.PHT.CA)
- No selection process for Certificates of Achievements
- Selection is required at the point of practicum/externships placements for the Medical Assisting Certificate (MDA.CT) or the Medical Assisting Associate in Applied Science (MDA.AAS)
- Students must attend a Medical Assisting Orientation Session and pass a mandatory criminal background check prior to registration into all MDA courses (except MDA 1350)