Student Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is a need-based financial aid program in which students may be employed by OCC (on-campus) or be employed off campus by certain agencies, private non profits and for-profit organizations. College work-study is funded by the federal government and Oakland Community College.  The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time employment to undergraduate students who need the earning to help meet the costs of their postsecondary education. It is awarded to students based on need and who are enrolled at least half-time during the period of their employment. Unlike grants and scholarships, work-study awards are earned and paid through the payroll process in the form of a paycheck. Work-study awards and amounts are subject to eligibility requirements and fund availability. FWS employment encourages jobs that will complement and reinforce student's educational program or career goals.


  • Students may work up to a maximum of up to 20 hours per week.
  • The rate of pay starts at $10.00 per hour.
  • There is a twenty-five cent per hour increase for every 300 hours worked with a maximum wage of $11.25 per hour.
  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours).
  • Students must qualify with a Financial Aid award.
  • Work-Study students who wish to work during the Summer semester must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours prior to the start of Summer term.
  • Student positions are limited and are offered to students via competitive interview.
  • All student employees, regardless of citizenship status, must complete I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification forms.


Step 1

Complete the current year Free Application for Federal Students Aid (FAFSA) and submit all required verification documents requested and receive your FA award letter via OCC email address.

Step 2

Visit an on-campus Financial Aid Office to complete an Award Adjust Form

Step 3

Complete Student Employment Application and College Central Network profile to upload your current resume.

Step 4

Contact the Career Services Office, also known as Placement Services, for assistance with resume building and interview techniques.

Step 5

Interact with prospective employers on campus and off campus.