Basic SWAT School
This dynamic course is designed to teach new or veteran tactical officers the necessary skills needed for tactical operations.
Kevin Kazyak, Chief, Chelsea Police Department has over 28 years of law enforcement experience. Chief Kazyak has held positions as a Use of Force Instructor, Firearms Instructor and 15 years as a SWAT Operator.
Staff Instructors are highly motivated current and former operators assigned to area or regional SWAT teams. This collection of operators brings a unique opportunity to learn and gain knowledge from multiple instructors who have participated in numerous operations.
Some Topics Include:
- Historical Perspective of SWAT
- Firearms - primary and secondary weapons
- The five positions of carry
- Low light and no light
- Wound triage
- Vehicle assaults
- Team movement approach
- Team movement to contact
- Planning for primary and secondary entry
- Breaching and covering
- Room clearing
- High-Risk Warrant Service
- Barricaded Gunmen
- Kevlar helmet
- Tactical vest kit
- Tactical belt and holster
- BDU’s or department tactical uniform,
- Eye and ear protection
- Tactical carbine with tactical light recommended
- Rain gear
- Gas mask with level 3 exposure flashlight separate from weapon mounted light
- Cleaning kit for handgun and carbine
- Camelback or hydration system
- 1 Noise-Flash Diversionary Device (NDFF) per student
- 1250 rds. of .223 rifle ammo
- 1000 rds. of handgun ammo
Note: This course is physically challenging requiring participation in field craft exercises that may involve running and/or carrying equipment. There are physical fitness and firearms standards that will need to be passed. The physical fitness is 4 events, vertical jump, sit-ups, push-ups and a half-mile shuttle run.
Students should also bring water and a lunch each day they are in the field, as they could be eating during field craft / range exercises.
- DATES: April 30 - May 5, 2023
- TIME: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- COSTS: $650.00 (Small Agency Group Discount – $250.00)
- LOCATION: Oakland Police Academy 2900 Featherstone, Auburn Hills, MI 48326 - Location on Campus: Police Academy
- REGISTRATION: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or new phone: 248.232.4227
- 302 Funds Eligible -