Patrol Dog Academy
Brian Dobrzycki (Detective, Roseville Police Department, 27 year veteran). K9 Handler and Master Trainer. Contact Brian at 248.232.4227 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This five (5) week course is designed to teach police K9 handlers the skills needed to be a successful canine handler. The Patrol Dog Academy will provide a pre-trained dog and the basic equipment needed for the team. Courses will be offered in the following areas:
Patrol Explosive or Narcotic K9:
Areas of Training: K9 Handlers will learn Tracking, Narcotics or Explosive Detection, Building Search, Area Search, Obedience, Agility, Article Search, Criminal Apprehension and Public Demonstrations.
$5,000.00 (Payable to the Oakland Police Academy)
The cost is estimated to be between $8,000.00 and $9,000.00 depending on the K9 Vendor. Vendors: Gills German Shepherds, K9 Holland Group and Shallow Creek Kennels.
- One month of pre-service of the K9. Odor imprinting, starting tracking and starting basic obedience
- Basic Equipment: Plastic kennel, bag of dog food, bowls, brush, toe nail clippers and shampoo
- K9 Equipment: Tracking harness, tracking line, 6’ leash, detector collar, bite sleeve, sleeve cover, aggression harness, 20’-30’ long line, reward toy, tugs and equipment
- Acclamation Training: Immediately following the academy, handler’s return for two weeks, two days each week, to address and correct areas that have arisen with the K9 team.
Canine Trainers Academy Areas of Training (Five-week Course):
Trainers will learn how to train the new K9’s and new K9 Handlers in Tracking, Narcotics or Explosive Detection, Building Search, Area Search, Obedience, Agility, Article Search, Criminal Apprehension and Public Demonstrations. NOTE: 5 weeks REQUIRED.
Trainers Academy Tuition:
$3,000 (Payable to the Oakland Police Academy)
- DATES: October 9 - November 10, 2023
- TIME: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm (Times subject to change)
- LOCATION: Oakland Police Academy 2900 Featherstone, Auburn Hills, MI 48326 - Location on Campus: Police Academy
- REGISTRATION: Email: email@example.com or new phone: 248.232.4227
- 302 Funds Eligible -