Library Services and Technology
Share the knowledge and become a library technician!
Libraries are an essential resource in our communities; connecting people with ideas
and information, strengthening skills and relationships, and fostering freedom for
all to read and pursue lifelong learning.
OCC has the only library associate degree program in Michigan. In this program, you will gain the specialized knowledge and skills necessary to become library technicians or similar positions.
What you’ll do as a Library Technician
Library Technicians perform a wide variety of jobs in the library setting. Duties
• Helping patrons engage with library resources and services
• Providing assistance with library technology
• Obtaining materials through inter-library loan and document delivery
• Assisting librarians with acquiring new materials and maintaining the library catalog
• Maintaining shelves and displays
• Repairing books and other materials
Opportunities for Library Technicians are wide-ranging
Most library technicians need a postsecondary certificate or an associate’s degree. Further education will open the door to higher positions in libraries.