Income Tax Requirements of F-1 International Students

F-1 International Student:

As an F-1 student attending school in the United States, you may need to file taxes with the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  and the State of Michigan

The International Student Office recommends that you speak with a certified tax professional about whether or not you are required to file any documents with the IRS or the State of Michigan. Another resource is to contact the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program for additional assistance.

NOTE: All F-1 students and their F-2 dependents must complete Form 8843 and send it to the Internal Revenue Service, even if they did not work.