F-1 Visa Application and Entry to the United States
Oakland Community College will issue an I-20 immigration document [Certificate of
Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status] once your application and accompanying
documents have been reviewed and accepted. OCC does not pay for courier service, but
will mail the original I-20 to you using the U.S. Postal Service. Your I-20 information
is also entered in the SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) for USICE
(United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement).
Once you receive your I-20 you must:
- Make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country to apply for an F-1 visa.
- Pay the SEVIS fee at least 3 business days before your consular interview, unless you pay online and then print a receipt.
- Take your OCC acceptance letter, original I-20, a valid passport, financial documents, and SEVIS fee receipt to the interview.
- During your interview with a consular officer, you must:
- Prove to the consular officer that you have a clear educational goal.
- Provide appropriate evidence that you have sufficient funds to complete a program of study in the U.S.
- Provide evidence that you are planning to return to your country when your program of study is complete.
- Resources to prepare for interview:
- When you travel to the U.S., carry your passport and I-20 with you on the airplane. Do not check it in your luggage.
- You are allowed to enter the United States 30 days prior to the report date listed on the I-20 document.